I received this information about my ancestor Richard Wrathall from my great aunt Lily Jones, who passed away recently. She did all the research, so I'm still trying to find her sources. She was a member of the Australian Genealogists, so I'm fairly sure her information is pretty good. She didn't have access to the Internet, so I assume she did it via parish records or the like. Unfortunately she hasn't kept very good records on these sources, but I'll tell you what I have.Anissa continues with information on the ancestors of her great-great-great-grandmother Eliza Ann Nichollias:
My aunt had no information on any of Richard's siblings. But I pretty sure we have the same Stephen and Mary Ann. Some other information I have on Stephen and Mary Ann's family is:
- Richard Wrathall (Publican), born 1831 Middlesex England.
- Father: Stephen Wrathall (butcher), born 1779 Yorkshire; died 24.10.1872 Hobart Tasmania
- Mother: Mary Ann Walker, born 1792; died 26.2.1852.
- Also has Stephen Wrathall's father as William Wrathall, but that's it, just a name.
My Aunt's sources are scribbled down on various scraps of paper; some only state a number to which I have no idea what they reference. Anyway, here they are:
- Stephen Wrathall, born 1779 Yorkshire, died 24 Oct 1872 Hobart Tasmania.
- Married Mary Ann Walker, born 1792, died 26 Feb 1852
- Charlotte Wrathall: Christening 26 July 1818 St Dunstan, Stepney
- Henry Wrathall:
- John Wrathall:
- Mary Ann Wrathall: Christening 20 Nov 1814 St Dunstan, Stepney
- Susan Wrathall:
- William Wrathall: Born 1810 england, Died 14 May 1892 Hobart Tasmania
- Stephen Wrathall: Born 1812 London England, Christening 20 Oct 1816 St. Dunstan Stepney, died 1896 Kaeo New Zealand
- Lupton Wrathall: Born 1828 London, England, died 1902 Ballarat Victoria
- Richard Wrathall: Born 1831 Middlesex, England, died 8 Feb. 1908 Ballarat, Victoria. Occupation: Publican.
The first child, Mary Ann Wrathall, was my great-great-grandmother. She married Frederick Harris and had 5 kids. My Wrathall line ends there.
- Mary Ann Wrathall (née Walker): death Hamilton, Tasmania Reg. no. 35 or 63
- Mary Ann Walker: Births or Christenings St Dunstan, Stepney
- Stephen Wrathall: death Hobart, Tasmania 24.10.1872, no. 1141
- Stephen Wrathall and Mary Ann Walker; Marriages: St Dunstan, Stepney, 1804 to 1814, no. 0596922
(she doesn't actually state their marriage date though! But might be worth a look. Being new to this I wouldn't have a clue how)
[Note: in Apr. 2006, Joyce Saalmans of Melbourne mentioned that "no. 0596922" is an LDS Family History microfilm for the Parish Registers of Stepney Parish Church, 1568-1929, but cautioned that such records may not include parents' names prior to 1837. ]
- Richard Wrathall married Eliza Ann Nichollias, born 1838 Hobart Tasmania, died 1919 Chistenham Victoria (no 17443). They married on 8.2.1858 in Hobart Tasmania
- They had 10 children:
- Mary Ann Wrathall, born 2.12.1860 Smythesdale Victoria, died 16 December 1897 Geelong Victoria
- Isabella Wrathall, born 1862 Smythesdale Victoria
- Lily Wrathall, born 1864 Smythesdale Victoria
- Anna Maria Wrathall, born 1866 Smythesdale Victoria
- Edith Barbara Wrathall, born 1869 Smythesdale Victoria (see Donna White's data below; see also data from Bronwyn Linz )
- Arthur Wrathall, born 1872 Smythesdale Victoria
- Alfred Ernest Wrathall, born 1874 Smythesdale Victoria
- David Wrathall, born 1876 Smythesdale Victoria
- Adeline Wrathall, born 1879 Smythesdale Victoria
- Pricilia Maud Wrathall, born 1881 Ballarat Victoria
I am a descendant of Lilly Harris, who is the mother of my great aunt (Lily Jones). So she would have known Ann Maria Nichollias, who would have been Lily's aunt. But why she has the name Nichollias instead of Harris I have no idea.
- Mary Ann Wrathall
- Spouse: Frederick Harris, born 22 May 1859 Geelong Victoria, Died 29 March 1919 Ballarat Victoria. [see burial data ]
- Married 1 Aug 1881 Clunes Victoria.
- Their children were:
- Mary Lousia Harris: Born 1 August 1881, died 18 March 1970 NSW
- Frances Maud Harris: born 1883
- Frederick Harris: Born 1885
- Ann Maria Nichollias (can't explain this see below): Born 1887 Clunes Victoria, died 13 March 1953 NSW
- Lilly Harris: Born 27 Sep 1889 Brunswick Victoria, died 12 Dec 1978 Sydney NSW
- Lilly Harris
- Spouse: Robert John Jones, born 19 July 1885 Victoria, Died 2 Dec 1927 Sydney NSW.
- Married 29 May 1909 Sydney NSW.
- Their children were:
- William Frederick Jones (my grandfather), born 10 August 1908 Sydney, died 22 June 1987 Woy Woy
- Doris May Jones, born 29 Jan 1911 Sydney, Died 21 May 1911 Sydney NSW
- Ellen Jones, born 21 Jun 1915 Sydney NSW
- Lily Jones (researched this information), born 10 Sep 1916 Victoria died 2002 Sydney
Eliza Ann Nichollias married Richard WrathallFrom John Horton's Family Group Sheet for William NICHOLLIAS (1803 - 1851) (link supplied by John Horton in Sep. 2003; inactive as of Oct. 2008):
Bit confusing going backwards, but the parents of William Nichollias (born 1801) were William Nichollias and Elizabeth.
- William Nichollias, born 1801 Wales, died 29 Jul 1851 Hobart Tasmania,
- Married Isabella Rayner, born 1818 England, Died 15 May 1872 Horbart Tasmania
- Eliza Ann Nichollias (see above)
- Isabella Nichollias, born 20 Oct 1841 Hobart Tasmania
- William Davey Nichollias, born 28 Feb 1844 Hobart Tasmania
Parents of Isabella Rayner (born 1818):
Now it gets really confusing as there are three William Rayners in a row.
- William Rayner, born 14 Feb 1767 Long Alley, St Leonards, Shoreditch England, Died 14 Dec 1850 Horbart Tasmania
- Married Susannah Chapman, born Abt 1785 Southwark London England, died 15 March 1865 Hobart Tasmania
- Married 1809 Newcastle NSW Australia
- Isabella see above
- Robert Chapman Rayner, born 1820 Hobart Tasmania
Parents of William Rayner, born 1767:
Parents of William Rayner, born 1724
- William Rayner, born 1724 Gilderstone, Bartley, England, Died 1786 Shoreditch England.
- Married Mary Taylor, born Bet 1720 - 1748 might be 1724, died 22 Dec 1786 Christchurch, Spitalfields England.
- Married bet. 1739 - 1763.
I also have information on Frederick Harris back to 17th century, but I'll save that for another day. Also information on Robert John Jones.
- William Rayner, born between 1674-1691 Gilderstone, Bartley, England. Died 5 Aug 1741 Morley, England.
- Married Mary, born Bet 1674 - 1708. Died between 1724 - 1808.
- Married bet. 1711 - 1723.
Edith married Thomas Henry Hibbert on 14 June 1895 and had a child, Thomas Henry Hibbert Jr., who was my great-grandfather. My mum's cousin did the research, and I have just been having a closer look. I would love to hear any further information, and am glad to share the info I have.In Oct. 2008, Bronwyn Linz [bronvynlinz58(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au] mentioned the following:
[Thomas Jr. and Mary Jane] had a daughter, Isabel May Hibbert, who married John Henry White. These two people are my grandparents, both deceased.
- Edith Barbara Wrathall
- Born: 1869, Smythesdale, Victoria
- Died: 1948
- Married: 14 June 1895, Perth, WA
- Spouse: Thomas Henry Hibbert
- Born: 1860, London, England
- Son: Thomas Henry Hibbert Jr.
- Born: 1895, Perth, WA
- Married 8 Sept 1917
- Died: 2 Sept 1952, Heidelburg, Victoria
- Spouse: Mary Jane Thorpe
- Born: 1897, Yarrawonga Victoria
- Died 9 Sept 1974, Heidelburg Victoria
I have further information on the descendants of Edith Barbara Wrathall, daughter of Richard Wrathall and Eliza Ann Nichollias. This is a copy of an email I sent to Elizabeth Janson.Here are the results of my research on Elizabeth Barbara Wrathall and her children as it is so far. I will be ordering the birth certificates of Edith Elizabeth and Sophia soon so I will give you the updates then.
This is where I found their reference on your website: Wrathall Pioneers: Richard Wrathall
Edith Barbara Wrathall [14 Sept 1869 (Vic bdm 18784) - 8 April 1948 (Vic bdm 3367)] was the daughter of Richard Wrathall and Eliza Ann Nichollias. On 29th August 1895 in Perth Western Australia, she wed Thomas Hibbert, born about 1861 in London. His father was Thomas and both he and his father were bricklayers. On some of the birth registrations for their children, they have different dates for their wedding, but this is the date on their WA certificate: no.338/95. On the certificate she spells her name as Rathall, even signing the same. Their children were
1. Edith Elizabeth Hibbert 1891 Perth WA (1319 WA bdm), although on the bdm website it says Edith Eliza and her mother is Elizabeth Wrafall. Edith married William Henry Carter (23 May 1876 - 27 Mar 1935) in Melbourne on 16 Jan 1909. They had two sons, William Frederick Carter( 24 July 1909 - 30 May 1993) and Percy James Carter (4 Aug 1912 - 5 Oct 1975), my grandfather.
2. Henry Thomas Hibbert [1893 in Perth WA (1895 WA bdm) - 11 Nov 1958 (27900 Vic bdm)]. He married Ann Phoebe Frolley in 1933 but there were no children according to his death cert.
3. Thomas Henry Hibbert [1895 (1410 WA bdm) - 2 Sept 1952 (10398 Vic bdm)]. He married Mary Jane Thorpe on 2 Sep 1952 and had two children Isabel May Hibbert 1917 and Henry Hibbert 1919
4. Sophia Emma Hibbert [1895 (4687 WA bdm) - 6 Sep 1900 (9971 Vic bdm)]. Died from Diptheria 2 years and 9 months.
5. Eric John Hibbert. I have a date of 11 Nov 1898 for his birth date but can't remember where it came from as when I went back to check on the Vic site I couldn't find it. Military service number 3834. His army records as well as Thomas' and Henry's can be found as viewable files on the National Archives of Australia website. I believe he married Jane Willis and had a son, Eric Robert Hibbert. Eric John died 1962 in Newtown NSW.
6. Alexander John Hibbert 13 Nov 1899 (29595 Vic bdm). Other than his name and age being on Harold's birth registration as other children I haven't been able to find anything on Alexander. I have even wondered if he and Eric might be the same person.
7. Harold Joseph Hibbert [2 Jan 1902 (5517 Vic bdm) - 11 Sep 1903 ( 10646 Vic bdm)]. Died from Diptheria
8. Lilian Hibbert [9 Sep 1904 (24019 Vic bdm) - 13 Apr 1905 (4672 Vic bdm)]. Died from Bronchitis.
Thomas and Edith Barbara divorced 7 Nov 1907 and Barbara and John Henry Harrison married on 13 Nov 1907 (9011 Vic bdm). They had two children
1. John Henry Harrison 1909
2. Emily Elizabeth Harrison 1911
Edith Barbara died 8 April 1948 (3367 Vic bdm) and was buried at Burwood cemetery in Victoria on 9th April 1948 Her religion was Church of England.
Although Henry is believed to be the middle name Thomas Hibbert (1861), it isn't mentioned on any of the earlier certificates that I have purchased.
Have found the cemetery that Mary Ann Harris was buried in. Mary Ann .... is the grand-daughter of Stephen Wrathall and Mary Ann Walker, via their son Richard Wrathall (1831 - 1908), [and she] is my great-great-grandmother. She died young, aged 37.The burials are recorded here: Steiglitz Cemetery - Maude Road, Steiglitz (near Geelong, Victoria), and there's also a PDF file with the same data: Steiglitz Burials.pdf. From Page 13:
|First Name||Mary Ann|
|Parents||Richard and Elizabeth (Nichols) Wratnall|
|Comments||Register, V.F.I., Steiglitz Miner 23/12/1897|