The Wallbank-Wrathall family
In 2001, William Wallbank Wrathall , a guide at Ingleborough and environs, gave Derek Wrathall of Skipton the following descendancy of his ancestor Anthony Richard Wrathall , who was born in Chapel-le-Dale, a village northeast of Ingleton, halfway between Whernside and Ingleborough [later edited to include data from other sources].
Anthony Richard WRATHALL (28 Aug 1868 - 21 Jan 1931)
- b. 3rd qtr 1867 (St. Catherine's House Index); chr. 6 Oct 1867 (Ingleton Parish Registers)
- m. 24 Sep 1902 at Ingleton
- lived at Brun(t)scar Farm
- spouse: Mercy Lambert (d. 24 Aug 1952 aged 76 years)
- May LAMBERT (30 SEP 1899 - 03 MAR 1981). Born illegitimate to a LAMBERT uncle. Had no children.[IGI Individual Record ]
- Albert Ernest Taylforth [LAMBERT] WRATHALL (2 Jan 1903 - 28 JUN 1979). Had no children.[IGI Individual Record ]
- Lucy WRATHALL (1904 - )
- spouse: Jack Downham
- Children: Mary
- Sarah WRATHALL (1905 - ) (St. Catherine's House Index)
- spouse: Jack Atkinson
- Children: Sheila (adopted)
- John Anthony WRATHALL (12 May 1906 - )
- spouse: Nellie WALLBANK
- No 1 died in infancy
- No 2 was stillborn
- William Wallbank WRATHALL (20 Dec 1938 - )
- m. 16 Mar 1963 at Burton-in-Lonsdale
- spouse: Rene Isobel Rebecca NELSON b. 14 Feb 1960 (a descendant of Derek's ggf Jacob Nelson)
- Children: [information deleted due to privacy concerns]
- Stephen Francis WRATHALL (11 AUG 1907 - 23 JUN 1978). No children. [IGI Individual Record ]
- Walter Thomas WRATHALL (1908 - )
- spouse: Elsie McGregor
- m. May 1934
- children: Maureen, Marjorie, Jean and Tony
- Mercy Ellen WRATHALL (1909 - 1994) (St. Catherine's House Index)
- spouse: Edward Elton Melville
- Children: Edward, Margaret, Marion, Sheila, Robert and Doreen
- Bertie William WRATHALL (23 Dec 1910 - 2000)
- Charles Edgar Wrathall (26 NOV 1911 - 02 JAN 1922); burial 5 Jan 1922. [IGI Individual Record ]
In 2001, our information indicated that Bertie was still alive and Derek hoped to make contact with him. However, in Mar. 2005, the UK Web Family Organisation's Wrathall Family website (may be disabled in some browsers) had a list of 43 Lancashire and Yorkshire Wrathalls, and included an entry for Bertie William Wrathall (1910 - 2000).
In the Memorial inscriptions for Thornton-in-Lonsdale is one for Anthony Richard and Mercy WRATHALL. This branch ties in with that of Brenda Heinsma of Nova Scotia ; Anthony Richard was one of the younger brothers of Brenda's ancestor Stephen Wrathall (1864-1954), as shown in the Westmorland Census Records and the Descendants of John Wrathall and Anne Pickersgill.
In Feb. 2002, Marian Barrow (née Wallbank) of South Craven, North Yorkshire , who can be reached at M.Barrow(at)tinyworld(dot)co(dot)uk, contributed the following information and photos regarding the Wallbank-Wrathall family:
Nellie WALLBANK (b.16th December 1904 at Keasden, d.5th September 1981), who married John Anthony WRATHALL in 1931, was my aunt. Their son, William Wallbank WRATHALL, of Burton-in-Lonsdale is, of course, my cousin. My father, Jack WALLBANK (dec'd) was Nellie's brother - they were from a family of eight sisters and two brothers. Their parents were William Robert WALLBANK (bp.2 September 1860, d. 19th February, 1941) and Florence Isobel SMITH (b.1881, d.19th January, 1955). They were moorland farmers of Keasden Head Farm, Keasden, south of Clapham. Another cousin and I have traced the Wallbanks back to 1650 at Keasden (where I still have a cousin farming) then to the neighbouring parish of Rathmell back to 1558. As they were farmers all down the line, only moving between farms in the same parish, we found it a relatively easy job, unlike my mother's side which I am now working on.
Marian sent a scan of a photo of William Wallbank Wrathall and Rene Nelson on their wedding day, as well as a scan of a photo of John Anthony Wrathall and Nellie Wallbank's wedding . Marian provided this description of the latter photo:
Nellie's mother, Florence Isobel, is seated to her left with father, William Robert, standing behind, second from right. My father, Jack Wallbank, is standing next to John Wrathall. The bridesmaids are sisters, (left to right) Phoebe, Mabel (seated) and Lena Wallbank.
In Jan. 2006, Derek Wrathall supplied some updates to the above descendancy, and mentioned the following:
Lucy and Sarah were on the list of siblings given to me by William Wallbank Wrathall, but from the GRO Indexes I query their inclusion. Mercy Ellen registered 4th qtr 1909, Lucy registered 3rd qtr 1910, Bertie William registered 1st qtr 1911 and no sign of Sarah.
Regarding the Obituary Notice for Elsie Wrathall , Derek also learnt that Elsie's late husband was the same Walter Thomas listed in the above descendancy, and he is called "Thomas Walter" in the GRO Indexes.
In Feb. 2006, Marion Blacklock, who can be reached at marionblacklock(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk, contributed some corrections to the above descendancy:
My mother was Mercy Ellen Wrathall, and she did have two older sisters, Lucy and Sarah. They were a few years older than my mother; I would say Lucy was born in 1904, and Sarah in 1905. Lucy was certainly not born in 1910. My son has gone back on your web-site to 1703. I have found it very exciting and interesting.
In May 2009, the Lancaster & Morecambe branch of Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society's website St JAMES Church TATHAM; MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS listed John Anthony
and Nellie Wrathall.